We’ve heard of a lot of companies going green in recent years, and cutting back on the use of office paper is one of mainstays of efforts to reduce waste.
Though many companies are already recycling their office paper, earthshare have a few other ways you can cut back on the paper trail you leave at the office:
- Copy on both sides of the paper. This is especially efficient for internal documents and drafts.
- Reduce documents to fit two pages onto one. Use for circulating rough drafts or file copies of documents.
- Use lighter weight paper. Lighter paper requires less energy and fewer raw materials when it’s manufactured.
- Find alternatives to mail. Use email, or voice mail whenever possible.
- Eliminate unnecessary subscriptions. Cancel newspapers, newsletters and magazines you don’t read or can access online. Take your name off mailing lists to reduce junk mail.
- Do a “paper” audit. Determine the kind and volume of offie paper waste your company generates, then take steps to use less. You’ll be surprised by what you find when you put numbers to the amount of paper use. Make recycling easy. Place recycling bins in high-traffic areas, including the conference room and kitchen as well as by the copier and fax machines.
- Use a routing slip to circulate copies throughout the office.
- Don’t bother printing out copies for people to read – send a link to the document via email and make use of shared drives. This saves an awful lot of money and a huge amount of time out of your day.
Become a waste prevention champion and start a trend in your office of saving paper. If they can’t beat you, they will join you – and the results in the end will be well worth it. As you help to cut down on company costs, there’s no doubt the boss will like it too!